23 September 2010

Shortcut Trap

So, I was writing a draft post and, as an Emacs user, I instinctively used one of the readline movement shortcuts that also work on most Mac OS X applications: C-p (Ctrl + P for those not familiar with Emacs shortcut notation). What I found out is that this shortcut publishes your post on blogger... I thought I was fast enough deleting so it wouldn't show up on feeds, but I've just noticed it appeared on the TWU bloggers feed. Bummer.

Well, I don't think that "Publish Post" is a function that should have a keyboard shortcut. It's not undoable (you can delete the post, but even just a few seconds later it still shows up in your feed) and it's something that you do only one time per post, and just after you finished writing it (or editing it) so I can't say it would be a huge sacrifice to have to move my hands out of the home row to use the mouse and click in "Publish Post". Well, it's not the first time that I get an incomplete post published due to clunky keyboard shortcuts on online blog editors. Maybe the problem is with me, but still I believe that there should be a way to prevent an accidental publish showing up in all your feeds.

Just for extra irony, I published this post using the dreaded keyboard shortcut.

No comments: